Men's soccer makes it two in a row

Views 128 | Time to read: 3 minutes | Uploaded: 1 - 29 - 2014 | By: unknown

The Westmont men’s soccer team is now 2–1 after the game on Saturday, Sept. 14 against Bethesda Flames. This is the Warriors’ second exciting win at home, but they are already looking ahead to the challenges of their next game.

The Warriors had multiple chances at the goal, but the Flames’ defense was stout. With just under five minutes left in the first half, a penalty kick was called and fourth-year Sean Siemens lined up to take the shot. “I was trying to stay focused and not get overwhelmed by the moment. I just zoned in on the goal and the ball to simplify it,” said Siemens later.

Siemens’ goal put the Warriors on the board 1–0 right before going into the second half, but within two minutes of the last goal, a ball that originated off of a Westmont defensive error turned into an own goal; modifying the score to 1–1 entering the second half.

The second half started out with a lot of whistles and calls that had Warrior fans very unhappy. The Warriors’ defense stayed relatively strong, only allowing four shots on-goal throughout the game. Within less than ten minutes of the second half, third-year Jonathan Yeeles scored a goal, assisted by third-year Cody Howen. With the team’s goal coming early in the second half, they would have to hold off the eager Flames team for nearly 30 minutes.

“Something we say before our game is to win our individual battles first, and if we can all do that, then we should come out on top,” said fourth-year defender Isaac Veenstra, who is known for his aggressiveness and speed when closing down on the ball.

“This year I want to work on passing out the back. Last year was positioning, and over the summer and spring I was able to establish that,” said Veenstra. “Now I am learning to look for the right players to pass to.”

Goalie, second-year Josh Glover, had some great saves throughout the game. Early in the game the Flames were aggressively looking for a goal. But Glover was able to tip an incredible shot up and over the net, saving the Warriors from an early setback within the first 25 minutes of the game.

“We had good team organization, starting with the captains being verbal,” Glover said after the game. “There was good communication out of the back, which is why we played well. We had a lot of good opportunities, even though we could have scored more goals. We kept a positive and encouraging attitude on the field.”

Coach Dave Wolf had some encouraging words after the game: “We’ve been giving up too many goals and we wanted to tighten up the back and today I saw more of that. As far as not having more goals on the board, this was a good team and their keeper had some really great saves. He really kept their team in the game. Overall I am happy to see we are averaging a couple goals a game.”

A player he highlighted was Jonathan Yeeles, a third-year midfielder. “Yeeles’ mentality to attack and take changes really has been good,” remarked Coach Wolf.

The Warriors will hit the road this week for their first away game. They play on Wednesday, Sept. 18 at Carson against Marymount, but look for the Warriors at home again on Thorrington Field on Saturday, Sept. 21.


Be the first to comment
Sign In